Simple Steps For Preventing Catalytic Converter Theft
Your catalytic converter is a vital component of your car's exhaust system. Thieves target catalytic converters because it contains very expensive metals and they can be quickly removed from your vehicle.
Here are some simple ways you can protect yourself from theft:
- Is your converter fastened with bolts? If so, you can weld the bolts in place. Alternatively, you can cut the heads off of the bolts. Either option will make it much more difficult for the bolts to be loosened.
- A common practice with thieves is to steal converters and sell them to scrap yards. You can get your converter engraved with your information and if your converter has your information on it, it could keep the scrap yards from even taking it because this makes it more difficult for them to sell.
- Be mindful about where you park your vehicle. Park your vehicle in an area that is well-lit and when possible, utilize a secure garage.
- A car alarm is a great deterrent. Consider investing in one to deter thieves.
- There are a number of catalytic converter theft prevention kits on the market. They create a cage around your catalytic converter which makes it much more difficult for thieves to steal.